Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Grandpa Torgerson

Leonard Charles Torgerson
July 28, 1923 - March 1, 2008

My grandpa was a great man. I lived with him and grandma for 5 years before I got married. It was during this time that I really got to know him. He loved to tease and start an argument. I loved to tease him back and most of the time it was pretty harmless. Grandpa was a hard worker and he was always working in the yard or on his cars or on his taxes in the back room. When he got tired he'd come sit in his chair in the livingroom and tell me he'd only just sat down and that he'd get up in a few minutes. He loved my cookies and anytime I made them I'd bring him out a fresh batch with a glass of milk and he'd tell me these were the best I'd ever made. He also loved to cook and my favorite thing he'd make was his goolash. Oh boy was it good! He loved a good deal too and he'd go trapsing all over town to buy whatever was on sale. On the weekends he'd walk over to garage sales in the neighborhood and he'd always come back with a good find. He loved the neighbors and sitting on the bench on the front porch, that sat just outside my bedroom window, and talk to all the neighbors who were walking by. They loved him too. When I met Stanford and brought him home to them for the first time, he immediately fell in love with him. Stanford would sit and listen to my grandpa tell stories for hours. I too loved my grandpa's stories. He would tell me some whenever he could. I am really going to miss my grandpa. He was a great man and I loved him very much.

Three weeks ago when Stanford and I were visiting him following my grandpa Snowball's funeral, I had a few minutes alone with my grandpa. I picked up my camera and said ok grandpa, time for some pictures. Now, my grandpa wasn't one who liked to have his picture taken, but in this instance, he sat right up in his chair and when I told him to pose and this is what he did. He was being so funny! I love the picture with him smiling. When Stanford and grandma came back in the room they were shocked to see I'd taken these and then my grandpa continued to tell us stories for almost an hour. This last memory I have of him is wonderful and I'm grateful for it.



Funeral - March 3, 2008
Green Hill in Palos Verdes, CA


Grandson's carrying Grandpa


Cousin Jenny

My dad (on the left)

Chad and Blake


Paige, Carly, and Tasha

Sisters: Calry, me, Paige and Tasha

Me, Grandpa Torgerson, and Cousin Nicki

Grandma and Nicki


Me and Brayden

Carly and Chad "crashing" at grandma's

5 comments:

  1. I remember Grandpa telling me a story about an engine he bought... and as usual... Grandpa showed up to haggle... but the man selling the engine sterning replied, "Well, do you want the engine or not?" Grandpa, promptly handed over the money. He told me that was the best engine he ever brought. It didn't matter what kind of great deal he was getting Grandpa was always trying to get a better deal, this is one of the few times he wasn't able to get the price even lower. Recounting the story made him chuckle... which pretty much says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful post Sara. I love your memories of Grandpa and can't even tell you how much I love those pictures you took of him just 3 weeks ago. They are so him and made me cry. My challenge to you and Stanford is to now start writing down all the stories Grandpa told. I really, really, really want to have them. Just one story at a time on a file or something, but I would love to make a family book someday and things like those would be so wonderful. Thank you Stanford for this one that you posted. It made me smile and I could hear Grandpa's chuckle too and his funny smile. Oh, I am going to miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I had the pleasure of meeting him and he was always so warm hearted and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I love this post. I loved hearing you share all your memories at the graveside as well. He had so many good stories! I am going to miss them. I think my favorite was one time I was talking to him on the phone about coming home for some holiday. He said I could probably just hitch hike and make it home ok. I laughed and said probably not. THen he said--in his most serious tone--well, if you just pulled your skirt up a little higher, you could. I laughed and laughed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE the new background! You are great. Now, you need to teach me, because I really do love it.

    ReplyDelete