Saturday, October 9, 2010

Posing

These pictures just make me laugh because I don't like to have my picture taken... I know it is ironic but true. You have to let someone into your intimate space be to photographed... but you also have to enter into an intimate space to take photographs... so this was an unusual exercise... to be in both places. I have been doing a lot of photography reads in my spare time and getting millions of ideas... so self portraits are perfect for experimenting.  Anyway I took my inspiration from Carly who is always shooting through a mirror... her self-portraits our among my favorites.  Okay, one recommended photography read...  Available Light.  Very enjoyable information book and not too complicated.  Anyway, these images are funny to me just because I couched myself to not look like a deer in headlights... my standard pose.  My favorite photographs are usually the candid unplanned photograph but sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect lighting and perfect moment to collide... so you have to make the moment and hopefully make a it real moment.  I am still in practice but posing... it is what most people need the most couching on... including myself.




3 comments:

  1. I like the pics. Very serious. This is usually how my self portraits end up. One day, I spent a few hours just trying to get a natural (fake natural) picture of me smiling. It's HARD work. The minute a camera is pointed at me, I feel instantly uncomfortable and stiff. I usually end up compensating by either NOT smiling or over laughing so much that my entire face is swallowed up by my cheeks.

    I didn't know that you didn't like your picture taken. Hmmmmmm.......

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel honored by the shout out :).

    Make me laugh out loud that you don't like having your picture taken. Oh the irony.

    Um and did you get the angry eyebrows from Jeremy? That's the face he does best in photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I don't like my picture being taken very much either. Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete